This southern African subset of the Global Hydrographic data set (GGHYDRO) Release 2.2 is organized into 19 files containing terrain type, stream frequency counts, major drainage basins, main features of the cryosphere surface, and ice/water runoff per year for the entire Earth's surface at a spatial resolution of 1- degree longitude by 1-degree latitude. The data are provided in both ASCII GRID and binary image file formats.
More information and selected thumbnails images can be found at: ftp://daac.ornl.gov/data/safari2k/hydrology/hydrographic_gghydro/comp/gghydro_readme.pdf
GGHYDRO Data Set Categories (Data File)
1. Exposed land not covered by swamp, intermittent water bodies, glacier ice, sand dunes, saltmarsh, or salt flats (LAND)
2. Perennial freshwater lakes (FLAK)
3. Swamp, marsh, and other wetlands(SWMP)
4. Saltwater, whether marine or terrestrial (SLTW)
5. Intermittent water bodies (ILAK)
6. Glacier ice, including shelf ice but excluding pack ice (GLAC)
7. Sand dunes (DUNE)
8. Saltmarsh (SMRS)
9. Salt flats (SFLT)
10. Land + Swamp + Sand dunes + Saltmarsh (DSRF)
11. Perennial rivers (FRIV)
12. Intermittent rivers (IRIV)
13. Land mask (MS05)
14. Major drainage basins (BAS1)
15. Smaller drainage basins (BAS2)
16. Main features of the cryosphere (CRYO)
17. Surface runoff of water (kg/m**2/yr) (RNOF)
18. Estimated root-mean-square error of RNOF (%) (RNER)
19. Runoff of ice ( kg/m**2/yr ) (RICE)
Cite this data set as follows:
Cogley, J. G. 2002. SAFARI 2000 Hydrographic Data, 1-Deg, Release 2.2 (Cogley). Data set. Available on-line [http://www.daac.ornl.gov] from Oak Ridge National Laboratory Distributed Active Archive Center, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, U.S.A. doi:10.3334/ORNLDAAC/636.
Cogley, J. G. 1998. GGHYDRO -- Global Hydrographic Data, Release 2.2. Trent Climate Note 98-1. Department of Geography, Trent University, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.
Information about the data format, legend, and the procedure used to create the southern African subset are in the following file: ftp://daac.ornl.gov/data/safari2k/hydrology/hydrographic_gghydro/comp/gghydro_readme.pdf.